"The Power To Prevail Over Your Problems"
Series on the Fruit of the Spirit, Msg. # 4
The Fruit of the Spirit is Peace
Read: Galatians 5:16-25
Text: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, PEACE,
longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance:
against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23
Theme: Though peace is a part of every Christian, several
steps ensure that the peace flows freely.
QUOTE "Peace is rare: Less than 8 percent of the time since
the beginning of recorded time has the world been entirely at
peace. In a total of 3530 years, 286 have been warless. Eight
thousand treaties have been broken in this time."
- Peace for the Christian is fruit of the indwelling Holy
- The fruit of the Spirit is part of every Christian.
Therefore every Christian has this peace which we are
talking about tonight.
- Peace is a direct result of salvation and knowing Jesus
- "Therefore being justified by faith, we have PEACE
with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:
not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your
heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is
given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and
his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The
mighty God, the everlasting Father, the PRINCE OF
PEACE." Isaiah 9:6-7
"These things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye
might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation:
but be of good cheer: I have overcome the world."
SONG "There's a peace in my heart
That the world never gave, A peace it cannot take away; Tho
the trials of life May surround like a cloud, I've a peace
that has come there to stay!"
SONG "Like a river glorious
Is God's perfect peace,
Over all victorious
In itsbright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth
Fuller ev'ry day,
Perfect, yet it groweth
Deeper all the way.
Stayed upon Jehovah,
Hearts are fully blest -
Finding, as He promised,
Perfect PEACE and rest."
- Sometimes, though, we do things... allow things into our
lives, which stop the flow of peace.
- Let's notice five steps we can take to ensure the peace
which should be there, is there always.
I. Keep your knees bent (in prayer).
Phil 4:6-7 (KJV) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by
prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be
made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all
understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ
QUOTE "You should pray when you're in a praying mood, for it
would be sinful to neglect such an opportunity. You should pray
when you're not in a praying mood, because it would be sinful to
remain in such a condition." Spurgeon
- A. Never let a day begin without it.
- "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in
the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will
look up." Psalm 5:3
SONG "Ere you left your room this morning, Did you
think to pray?"
- B. Never let a day end without it.
- "Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and
cry aloud: and He shall hear my voice." Psalm 55:17
- C. Never face a situation/problem without it.
- ILLUS. Hezekiah, when Sennacherib king of Assyria came
against Judah and sent a threatening letter,
"Hezekiah went up into the house of the LORD, and
spread it before the LORD. And Hezekiah prayed..." 2
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and LEAN
NOT UNTO THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING..." Proverbs 3:5
(YET WE USUALLY TRY TO FIGURE SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS
WITHOUT EVEN PRAYING ABOUT THEM.)
- D. Never neglect it when it seems unnecessary.
- ILLUS. Little boy when asked by pastor if he prayed
everyday, said, "Not everyday. Sometimes I don't
"In everything give thanks..." 1 Thessalonians
"Praying always... WITH THANKSGIVING..." Phil.
II. Keep the Bible open (and read).
- A. You need to keep it open to grow.
- "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of
God." Romans 10:17
- B. You need to keep it open to have victory.
- "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not
sin against Thee." Psalm 119
- C. You need to keep it open to give you PEACE
- "Great peace have they which love Thy law, and
nothing shall offend them." Psalm 119:165
QUOTE "A clean Bible means a lean soul." D.L.
III. Keep submitting your heart to God.
"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the
which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful."
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only,
deceiving your own selves." James 1:22
- A. When the Bible says something, DO IT, SUBMIT TO IT,
or there is no peace.
- B. When you KNOW THE WILL OF GOD, DO IT, SUBMIT TO IT,
or there is no peace.
- QUOTE "Peace is the deliberate adjustment of my life
to the will of God."
"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth
it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17 (AND THERE IS
NO PEACE, EITHER!)
IV. Keep concentrating your thoughts on God.
"For to be carnally minded is death: but to be
spiritually minded is life and PEACE." Romans 8:6
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is STAYED
on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." Isaiah 26:3
- A. Everything starts with your thought life.
- QUOTE "If you sow a thought, you reap an attitude.
If you sow an attitude, you reap an action. If you sow an
action, you reap a habit."
ILLUS. David's sin with Bathsheba started when he saw and
THOUGHT a thought...
"... every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of
his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived,
it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished,
bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved
brethren." James 1:14-16
- B. You can fill your mind with many different things.
- C. If you want PEACE, though, you must fill your mind
- "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any
virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these
things." Philippians 4:8
V. Keep living right.
"Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the
end of that man is peace." Psalm 37:37
- A. Nothing destroys peace like sin in your life.
- ILLUS. David, "the sword shall never depart..."
Baby, Absalom, Tamar, Amnon
QUOTE "We lose the peace of years when we hunt after
the rapture of moments."
- B. A right life is a life of peace.
- QUOTE "Do right until the stars fall." Dr. Bob
- YOU HAVE PEACE, Christian, as fruit of the Spirit in your
- Are you EXPERIENCING it, though?
- If not, try:
- Bending your knees,
Opening the Bible,
Submitting your heart to the Lord's will,
Concentrating your mind on the things of God,
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love,
joy, PEACE, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness,
temperance: against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23
Please direct questions, comments, and submissions to William E. Johnson
Copyright © 1996 William E. Johnson.