A Word About Worship
Read: Psalm 96
Text: Psa 96:9 (KJV) O worship the LORD in the beauty of
holiness: fear before him, all the earth.
Theme: Worship is a vital aspect of our walk with God, and an
inevitable result of our relationship with Him.
I. Worship Studied
- A. Who should worship? ("all the
earth" - vs. 1)
- B. Who should be worshipped?
- ("Jehovah" - every verse except vss. 11-12)
1. Should angels be worshipped? (NO - cf.
2. Should heroes be worshipped? (NO - cf.
Acts 12:21-23 - Herod)
3. Should saints be worshipped? (NO - cf.
Acts 14:11-18 - Paul and Barnabus)
- C. What is worship?
- 1. Definition (from Vines Expository Dictionary of
Biblical Words): sahah - "to worship, prostrate
oneself, bow down." time
2. It is found more than 170 times in the
3. The First Mention of worship is in
Genesis 18:2, where Abraham "bowed himself toward
the ground" before the 3 messengers who announced
that Sarah would have a son."
- D. How should we worship?
- Music - vs. 1
Testimony - vs. 2
Giving Glory - vs. 8
Bring an Offering - vs. 8
Come into His courts - vs. 8
Witness for Him - vs. 10
Live holy lives - vs. 9
- E. Why we should worship?
- God saved us! - vs. 2 (and every use of JEHOVAH as His
God's greatness - vs. 4
God's fearsomeness - vs. 4
God's power - vs. 5
God's majesty- vs. 6
God's strength- vs. 6
God's beauty- vs. 6
God is righteous - vs. 13
God is truth - vs. 13
God will come - vs. 13
God will judge - vs. 13
- F. Where do we worship?
- Among the heathen - vs. 3
In His sanctuary / courts - vss. 6,8
- G. When do we worship?
- Day to day - vs. 2
II. Worship Applied
- DISCUSS - What do you think of the following
statements? How do they fit with our study?
- 1. My worship of God is directly proportional to
my relationship to Him. This is turn is directly
proportional to the amount of time that I spend with Him.
2. The Sunday morning worship service is to be the
climax of a week long of private devotions and worship.
3. Worship must be an act of participation; not
4. Just because we attend church, pray, sing
songs, and listen to the preacher, doesn't necessarily
mean that we have worshipped.
5. There is a relationship between worship and
evangelism. You cannot have one without the other.
- DISCUSS - How do we worship God in our daily
- (First might want to get the class to list some of their
- DISCUSS - In light of these verses, how would you
rate the quality of worship in your church, and in your
life personally? What can be done to improve the quality
of our worship?
Please direct questions, comments, and submissions to William E. Johnson
Copyright © 1996 William E. Johnson.